Climate Crisis in Toxic Futures
• Toxic economies suck the blood of the people – their labour, resources, their well being as well as their so-political spaces. We are united in the struggles against environmental pollution, of land grabs, sea grabs, soil grabs and sky grabs. There are no legislated boundaries to ecological problems. We are all on one planet.
• Climate Change – both humankind’s shame and hangman!
• Fossil fuels drive multiple crises
• The hidden costs of fossil fuels
• Hostage to dirty energy complex
• Profit accumulated in blood
Oil, Gas & Poverty
• By its nature, the oil industry pollutes through toxic releases, spills and storage of waste materials
• Industries bribe their way out of regulation in corrupt contexts, & amplify environmental degradation.
• Government complicity in spills result in weak clean-up measures.
• Oil spills cause biodiversity loss
• Deforestation results from all stages of exploitation
• Livelihoods are decimated
Resist, Re-create, Survive
• Reject the model of energy overconsumption:
– externalise costs – the environmental and social liabilities
– accumulate new debts, build new forms of exploitation
• Build the ecologic model:
– ecology, sovereignty and good living define the relationships of production and consumption.
• Resistance: oppression and development cannot co-exist
• Resistance is Advocacy